This was the November swap. I did these all at one time, then cur them apart. I added some little birds to these. I think in the next bunch, I want to try using more colors like I did in the “E” in an earlier post.
The swap challenge is to create three letters of the alphabet each month. In return, I receive letters from three different artists each month. We have to leave 3/4 of an inch at the top, so we can put a ring through the 26 letters to form a kind of flip book. The idea is to have a sampler of different styles.
Part of the ongoing alphabet swaps-J,K,L -I have been using Strathmore 500 series 100% cotton 140lb hotpress watercolor paper. I love it for mixed media. i put some color in the backgrounds now, let it dry, then draw with the micron pens. Because of the texture and absorbency of this paper, I can get nice details using an 02, 03, or 05 micron pen. I have been experimenting with color more. I have some pan watercolors and a small set of cheap watercolor in tubes, but I still love using markers and ink from Stampin‘ Up. I am using blender pens for much of the coloring, especially fine areas. In larger areas, I have also been using a paint brush. Directly applying color leads to a very deep color. I think it is due to the absorbency of the paper. I’ve also been trying out ideas from the book Zenspirations by Joann Fink. I’ve been lightly adding a little sparkle gel pen for highlights, but that doesn’t show up well on the scans.
I get the paper from Amazon. I usually add it to my wish list, and if the price goes down, which it usually does, if I wait, I order several packages. i try to get the free shipping, but it isn’t always available on the paper. If the price is low enough, it is worth paying for the shipping.
so far, I have purchased all of my Zentangle, doodle, and other books from Amazon using the Super Saver Shipping. I did the 30 day trial for Amazon prime, and it is a great deal if you order frequently, or if you use a Kindle or other e reader. I have to wait on getting the year-long membership, but I did the trial over the holiday season, and it saved a fortune. I can order almost anything from Amazon, and I usually get great deals. I do most of my shopping online because I am medically retired, so My brick and mortar shopping is limited. I’m looking into getting a mobility scooter this year.
The assignment was to create a triptych, a piece of art that spans three canvases. At least one tangle had to go across all three ATC‘s. It was nice to work on a larger palette for a change. Limiting myself to ATC size; 2 1/2 X 3 1/2 inches. This work is 3 1/2 high and 71/2 inches long. It is cut into 3 regular size ATCS. I also made one ATC in the regular size for the host gift. I am extremely happy with this work. I used Stampin Up markers for most of the work. I like the color combinations, and the shading. This time the scans were pretty accurate. I would like to do more work in these colors. Usually I spend lots of time sweating over my work before I complete it. This one went quickly. I just liked everything about it. Maybe it was the freedom of having more space!
Since blue is my favorite color, this swap was appealing to me. It seems that I am enjoying other colors more and more. Its funny when I think about deciding on a favorite color when I was younger. I picked blue because I liked it, and red seemed too obvious. I am drawn to blue, especially cobalt blue, but now other colors catch my attention. I’ve seen blue rooms that look boring, so I am a little afraid to go “too blue.”
I wanted to make some drawings influenced by the Blue Willow china pattern. My Great Aunt Gail, love the Blue Willow pattern. As I went over images of Blue Willow designs, I found many interesting patterns that work well for tangling. The main problem was fitting designs on the small pennants. I will have to revisit the designs on a larger canvas. I wanted to do one design that was not Blue Willow at all. I used plenty of chalks on that one. I enjoyed using the iridescent chalks. In part I used chalks because my blender pens were wearing out. The chalk expands the fibers in the blender pens, so when I go to use them on other inks, it is difficult to get a sharp line. I finally ordered new blender pens, so my upcoming work might be easier.
I enjoyed working on this one so much! I wish I had time to make more owls. I use Bing images for inspiration and then try to make the work my own. I found a “How to Drawn an Owl” and used that as a basis for the owl with the turned head. The owl with its eyes closed came from a picture of 4 different owls. I used the basic outline and changed it, then tangled it. The paisley owl is the one with which I had the most difficulty. I thought I would like it more. I made five of them before I found one that I felt was acceptable. I like it, but thought it could be better. I gave one of the paisley owls to my daughter Joni, because she really liked it. Part of the problem might be that I need new blender pens and aqua pens. I can get more accurate shading and coloring with them.
I forgot to scan it in first. The originals look much better than the scans. Sometimes I scan in my work and the scans look great. I haven’t figured out if there is something I can do to make the scans more accurate every time.
If you follow my blog, you can see that I am in a pennant swap each month. For April the them was quilts. Many of the tangle patterns are the same as, or similar to quilt designs. I tried to use some quilt patterns and some that look like fabric designs. I used micron pens and Stampin Up markers. I want to get more marker colors, but I have to budget them in.