Tag Archives: Steampunk

Steampunk Swap



I really like the steampunk aesthetic, but i had a real brain block when it came time for this swap. These are a tryptic. I made a larger drawing and then cut it into 3 ATC’s. i used metallic markers on these. It was al little tricky because the colors I liked were wide. I also used gel pens for the metallic effect. It all came out darker than I liked, but since these were my 4th attempt to come up with something, I just didn’t have time to re-do them. I think they came out alright. I just felt like I could have done better if I had an extra month or two!


ZIA ATC masks


One of the swaps I joined this month was for ZIA masks. It took me a while to decide what to draw. I looked up all types of masks and sketched out quite a few in my sketchbook before deciding on these. I drew a few that I did not use for the swap because I wasn’t completely happy with them. I saved them because they aren’t that bad, but I drew 5 and only needed 3. I used card stock, several types of marker, and micron pens. I tried out Bic markers in fine point and ultra fine point. They give a rich color and cover the area quickly, but bleed a little on card stock. The areas I outlined in Sakura Micron Pens first, didn’t bleed. The larger areas did show through on the back a little. I think if I tried the markers on a less porous paper like Bristol board, the wouldn’t bleed and soak though as much. I also used watercolor markers and a blending pen.

Feb 2012 ZIQA mask swap

Bird Mask 2

Bird One

Steampunk Mask

I tried a mask in Steampunk style. I had to use a little acrylic paint to get the metallic look. I also used touches of sparkly gel pens. I found some old gray scalemarkers and some of them still work. I used them for the background. I liked the effect, but I wish I hadn’t been as heavy-handed with the gray markers.

Steampunk Heart Twinchie


I made this twinchie (a 2″ X 2″ square) on watercolor paper. It is for a ZIA challenge. I am so grateful for challenges because it makes me try to create art in ways I might not normally try. I tried something new, besides the 2X2 size. I used pastels with a blender pen. It is a little more challenging with this small size. I went over a few areas with gel pens. I decided I would like to find some more gel pen colors. A black gel pen would be nice for tiny areas that have too much of another medium on them. I sketched out the basic design in pencil and then did the line drawing in Micron pen. I had to go back over some areas with the micron pens.  I wanted to try using a Steampunk style for a long time and this idea just came to me after drawing a couple of flowery hearts that did not feel special. An especially awful flowery heart is on the back of this one because I didn’t feel like getting the watercolor paper out and cutting a little piece of it. I had the idea in my head and wanted to get it down on paper. I do like this one.